There are 11 off-leash areas in Austin maintained by the Parks and Recreation Department. Most parks are open from 5 a.m. until 10 p.m. barring events or closings for maintenance.
The following are rules for Austin off-leash areas:
- Dogs must be within sight and sound control of owners/handlers at all times
- Dogs in heat are not allowed in off-leash areas
- Rabies vaccinations are required for all dogs as required by State Law
- Owners/handlers must clean up after their dogs and deposit waste into a trash can
- Aggressive dogs must be removed from public spaces immediately
When not in these specified areas, the Austin leash ordinance requires dogs to be on a leash no longer than six feet on all city land. The maximum fine for not following this ordinance is $500.