Texas Driver’s License
The Texas Department of Public Safety (Tx DPS),, handles the driver’s license division. Its website has current information on office locations, FAQs, obtaining driver records, online driver handbooks for download, and much more.

You are a non-resident if you are at least 15 years of age and visiting Texas on vacation, going to school, or on a temporary job assignment. To be a legal non-resident driver, you must have in your immediate possession a valid driver’s license or instruction permit issued from your home state. As a non-resident, you may operate those types of vehicles permitted on the license or instruction permit issued by your home state and will not be required to register your vehicle in Texas or obtain a Texas driver’s license. If you have a valid out-of-country driver’s license and are 18 to 75 years old, you may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the state of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, provided your home country has reciprocity with the United States. Check the TxDPS website for reciprocity agreement status.

If you choose to become a resident of Texas, you will need to surrender your valid out-of-state license within 30 days of establishing residency. You will be required to take written and vision tests. If you have an expired out-of-state license, you will be required to pass both the written and the driving exams, in addition to a vision test. The same is true if you have never had a license from any state.

You will need to provide proof of identity, Social Security number, Texas vehicle registration, and liability insurance (if you own a vehicle) before you can begin any of these processes. You may contact the DPS by email with your questions at If you already have a valid Texas driver’s license or a Texas ID card and need to renew, visit and renew online!

Hays County Central TxDPS Office 
1400 I-35 North, San Marcos, 
TX 78666-7235 512-353-2770
Travis County Central TxDPS Office

(North Side Station) 
6121 N. Lamar 512-424-2076
6425 South I-35, Ste. 180 512-444-5241
Williamson County Central TxDPS Office 
515 Pine St.
Georgetown, TX 78626-5100 512-863-5816


It may look like a little thing, but your vehicle registration sticker does great things for Texans. The fee you pay each year to register helps to build and maintain our highways, roads, and bridges. Plus, a portion of your fee goes to work in your own county. If you’re new to Texas, remember, you must register your vehicle within 30 days. Learn more at or call 512-465‑7611. Be a Registered Texan™ and stick up for the Lone Star State!

Bastrop County 512-581-7161
Caldwell County 512-398-1830
Hays County 512-393-5545
Travis County 512-854-9473

Prior to first-time registration (and annually thereafter), vehicles must pass inspection at an authorized service station or garage. An inspection sticker, certificate of title, proof of sales tax (if purchased outside of Texas), and proof of insurance are required to obtain a license plate. For more information, call the tax assessor-collector in your county. Texas law requires automobile liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $30,000 per injured person, up to a total of $60,000 for everyone injured in an accident and $25,000 for property damage. This basic coverage is called 30/60/25 coverage. For more information about required automobile insurance coverage, visit

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.